Friday, September 7, 2012

Hands-on(ish) with LG's 4K TV


(Credit: Geoffrey Morrison)

In a small room away from the main convention center at the CEDIA Expo, LG showed off their upcoming 84-inch 4K LCD.


I got a close up look at the new ultra-resolution panel, got a lot of questions answered, and got a rough idea what we can expect when it starts shipping next month.


Curious? I was too.


1st 4K TV impressions


Let me say up front, I'm a vocal critic of 4K. You might not have guessed this from my previous articles, 4K TVs are Stupid, and the follow-up 4K TVs are Stupid (still).


For those of you who read the articles, I'm very specific in saying my complaint about 4K TVs is that in the sizes most people buy, and the distances most people sit 1080p is largely unnecessary, making 4K ridiculous overkill.


But 84-inches is not a "normal" size. At that size, it's far more likely you'd be able to see the added resolution with 4K.


However, at the demo, LG wasn't showing any 4K material. Instead they showed upconverted 1080p content which, let's be honest, is going to be the vast majority of the content this TV will get throughout its life. Unfortunately, with... [Read more]



via CNET http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cnet/NnTv/~3/6D0T_GCXxiA/


No comments:

Post a Comment