iCloud is the latest iteration of Apple's cloud-based services, and while it can be accessed from any Web browser, it requires at least OS X 10.7 to integrate into the Mac OS. Unfortunately this means that if you are on an older Mac system running Snow Leopard that you either don't want to or can't upgrade, then Apple no longer supports accessing its iCloud services.
Recently MacFixIt reader Brandon wrote in wondering about the options for people with these setups:
I just purchased an iPhone and am trying to sync my Mac devices, but have run into a problem. I currently have an iMac 4,1 version 10.6.8 with a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor. In order to sync my devices with iCloud, I was told (by Apple) that I need to upgrade to Lion, at least. [How can I get iCloud on my computer?] My ultimate goal is to have my work computer synced with my iPhone synced with my MacBook at home. Can I purchase and install the Intel Core 2 Duo processor I apparently need [to run Lion]? Are there any ways around this issue? Perhaps there is a cheaper component I could buy?
Upgrading the iMac's hardware would theoretically be possible, except that Apple's iMac systems are soldered together, making it impossible to perform tasks like upgrading the CPU. They also do not have any standardized expansion slots, so upgrading components like video cards is also impossible. Even if you were able to upgrade the hardware and get Lion or Mountain Lion running, the system would not ... [Read more]
via CNET http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cnet/NnTv/~3/LgspXu8g_Ac/
No comments:
Post a Comment